6 Months Baby Development Milestones
A normal 6 months baby will develop the following developmental milestones:
• Push up on extended elbows when lying prone (on his tummy).
• Lift his head up when lying on his back.
• Anticipate being pulled to sit from lying by bracing his shoulders.
• Roll over - initially from front to back but then both ways.
• Take weight on his legs when he is held standing up.
• Sit unsupported for short periods in a tripod position - back slightly bent forward and arms forward with hands near feet.
Fine Motor / Vision Development
• Be extremely interested in his surroundings.
• Use both hands freely and transfer objects from one hand to the other.
• Not be interested in objects that fall out of sight - no object permanence yet.
Speech and Language Development
• Babble using vowel sounds, eg. "goo", "ga".
• Imitate sounds.
• Laugh out loud.
Personal / Social Development
• Take everything to his mouth.
• Put his hands to a feeding bottle.
• Friendly with strangers but will be becoming shy.