Care After Delivery
Pregnancy is a very important period for all women. During and after this period, a lot of care needs to be given to the mother and baby. For all most all the mothers, the care would be similar with some minor changes depending on the type of delivery.
For normal delivery here are some points to be considered in the process of taking care of the mother and baby.
In case of normal delivery, in the vaginal muscle a small cut is made. This is to ensure that the baby is out safely. This cut is closed by stitching. And commonly mothers do experience pain and swelling in this region.
• Bring the baby to the mother soon after delivery. This allows a stronger bond to be formed between the two.
• Gives warmth and trust to child.
• Mother needs to be well nourished after delivery. Give here milk and juice. That is easily digestible.
• Clean the area with stitches using lukewarm water. This is done to prevent the infections.
After the second day of delivery:
• Walk slowly with someone to support.
• Drink 2 to 4 liters of water per day.
• Include fiber foods in diet to avoid piles or constipation.
• Symptoms like fever, pains in the stitches, heavy bleeding, and clots in the breast, heavy urination and cough should be consulted with the physician.
• Do exercise only after 6 months of delivery.
Care for Breast:
Breast will be sensitive to touch. You may feel it is swelling. If you feel uncomfortable because of swelling use ice packs wrapped in a towel for 10 minutes. If there is pain in breasts it is best to consult the physician.
Care for umbilical cord:
The umbilical cord provides nutrition to your child when in womb. This will take 2 to 8 weeks to dry and fall off. Do not try and pull it off; leave it as it is and it will drop off eventually. Make sure you prevent the baby from infection and irritation. Give only sponge bath to the baby till the cord falls off.
Care regarding Vaginal discharge:
Maintaining your personal hygiene is very important. In the beginning days the vaginal discharge will be black and thick. But this will gradually become red. If there is any fowl smell from the discharge, consult the doctor immediately.
Care regarding stitches:
Usually by fourth week, the stitches are repaired. Till the stitches is completely cured, use the squirt bottle provider, to clean after bowel movements. Cleaning must be done from front to back and not the other way. If there is soreness in the stitches, sit in the tub containing warm water for 10 minutes.
Remember, you can get pregnant in 2 weeks after delivering the baby. Your body will need some months to heal and revive for the next pregnancy. It is best to use proper contraceptives.